Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Danielle Hallam's Surfside Summer Story at Plantation Resort

What happens when a senior from Brigham Young University travels across the country for an internship at Plantation Resort in South Carolina? Well, you can expect some great adventures along the Grand Strand (the area stretching from above North Myrtle Beach all the way down to Georgetown) and a lot of learning opportunities. As a Human Resources major I didn’t expect to learn much this summer that would apply to my field. But working in the recreation department I’ve been able to work with the most important people in any organization—the guests, and gain insight into what it takes to make a resort (or any operation) run smoothly. My name is Danielle Hallam, and this is my Surfside Summer Story.



Let’s cover the good stuff first, what I do for fun in a resort town. I’ve had some great adventures in the Myrtle Beach area. I have visited the Boone Hall, Hopsewee, and Magnolia Plantations, taken the ferry to Fort Sumter, lost to my roommates at putt-putt, boogie boarded at the beach, kayaked along the waterway, caught a firefly, learned to slalom ski, spotted gators, watched a Pelicans game, lost at putt-putt again, pet sting rays, caught a shark while deep sea fishing, perused the markets in Charleston, learned to surf, built stellar sand castles, and lost at putt-putt a few more times. It’s definitely been a summer to remember, but not just because of sightseeing. Working at Plantation Resort has taught me a lot.
My favorite part of working at Plantation Resort is meeting so many interesting people. I meet a lot of great families when I work activities like the rubber duck races at the Lazy River and the ever popular tie dying t-shirts. Tie dye is always a lot of fun. I love it when the kids make amazing shirts and their parents are so impressed they have to make one for themselves. My favorite venue has to be the dinners. The atmosphere at the Sticky Fingers BBQ and the Tie Dye Fish Fry are fantastic. Live music, good food, great people—and I get paid to be there.

So what will I take with me from my summer in Surfside? Well, there is the slight tan line from spending time at the beach and my amazing tie dye skills. But, more importantly I’ve learned some valuable lessons from working at Plantation Resort. I’ve been able to be a part of the planning and preparation necessary to make a good event/activity a success. I’ve also learned a lot about the importance of employee training and motivation that will be a great help as I graduate and begin my career. Although my putt-putt skills have not improved, my knowledge has increased over my summer at Plantation Resort.


(Editor's Note: This is the last of a three-part series of articles from our interns. If you know of someone who might be interested in applying for an internship at Plantation Resort, feel free to contact us at hr@plantationresort.com.)

No comments: